Getting work experience is important for whatever you do in life, but starting young is even better.
While a majority of students are interested in internships, it can still be a very confusing topic with many questions.
What Is an Internship?
An internship is often a work position given to a high school or college student for a designated period of time over which they will work and learn at a business that gives them exposure to the working environment and specific industry.
Internships can be any time of the year, but commonly for high school students, they are over the summer.
At What Age Can You Be an Intern?
While it is possible to get an internship at as young as 14 years old, many employers will most likely have their own age restrictions set at 16 years old or above because there are many laws regulating the number of hours and type of work children below 16 can do.
Even still, being 16 doesn’t exempt you from all government regulation. Many rules still apply to total work hours and the inability to work in hazardous environments.
Another reason for age restrictions are that some younger children may not be mature enough to intern in perhaps, a hospital, or strong enough to intern at a construction company.
After turning 18, there shouldn’t be any internships that are unavailable due to age, but even before then it is still possible depending on the company’s rules.
How Much Do High School Internships Pay?
Similar to requirements surrounding age, there are many things that go into whether or not an internship is paid or unpaid. The Department of Labor has laid out six factors that must be reached in order for an internship to be unpaid:
- The extent to which the internship provides training that would be similar to that which would be given in an educational environment;
- The internship experience is beneficial to the intern;
- The work does not interfere with the intern’s academic commitments.
- The intern’s work does not displace paid employees;
- There is no promise of a paid job at the end of the internship;
- Both the intern and employer agree on beforehand that no payment will be given in exchange for their work;
If any of the above requirements are breached, an intern must be paid for their work.
However, most if not all internships for high school students are unpaid.
Although in the end, the experience and opportunities you gain will most likely outweigh any payment you may have received.
How Can I Apply for an Internship?
Finding an interesting internship is only the first step.
Next students have to apply.
Every program or company should have a set of instructions for how to apply that can be followed and will usually also have an email for additional questions.
There are a few mistakes that some students make when applying:
- Not supplying all required information
- If a company is asking for a specific paper or your transcript from high school, those are things that must be submitted in order to be considered.
- Not preparing for the interview
- As part of the application process, an interview will often occur either by phone or in person. Most high school students will have never had experience with interviews before, so preparing for them ahead of time is crucial. Some specific tips for how to do in an interview can be found here.
- Applying to only one internship
- Unless you only have one place you’re interested in, it is smart to attempt to get an internship at multiple places. This not only gives you the best chance to get accepted somewhere but may also give you options or leverage if you were to get accepted at more than one place.
- Missing a deadline
- Especially if you’re applying to multiple internships, you do not want to miss a deadline or forget to send something in when it’s due. Even sending something in much earlier than required might show that you are prepared and excited to work there.
Are Internships Worth It?
Internships can be very beneficial for students in college, but don’t let that discourage you from checking them out while still in high school.
Getting any sort of experience in a professional environment is incredibly useful for anyone and can specifically help those who are still trying to decide what they are interested in and enjoy doing.
Furthermore, adding a respectable internship to your college application can only boost your chances of getting accepted into a school as it not only demonstrates initiative by the student for putting themselves out there but also maturity in handling yourself around adults.
In some cases, an internship can lead to even more opportunities, such as an expanded internship in college or even a job offer once you’ve completed school.
They also give you someone who can be called upon for recommendations when you do apply for your next internship or job.
How Long Are Internships?
Internships can be any length of time, ranging usually from a week to 12 months, but unlike a job, they often have predetermined lengths of time that the work will last.
Depending upon the type of internship, the hours can vary as well, but many are simply 9 am – 5 pm or they follow the hours of the business you intern at.
Sometimes there may be specific intern programs that have other special meeting times to go over additional information or hear from speakers.
How Long Should I Work at an Internship?
There are many options for how long you can work at an internship.
Some companies may have a time limit already set, but others may let you work there as long as you would like.
It is up to you and your schedule to determine how much time you want to spend there.
Working at the same place for a long time can allow you to form stronger relationships with your coworkers and bosses, but since you’re still in high school, you don’t want to risk hurting your academics at all. Another piece to consider is if you want to try another internship or program to experience even more types of work while you’re still young.
Where Should I Get an Internship?
Finding an internship can sometimes be as simple as searching for one online.
Be sure to include the city you live in and whichever industry you are interested in.
Some of the top internships high school students look into are:
- Microsoft High School Program
- United States Secret Service
- NASA Internship
- Program at Stanford or other colleges/universities
- Volunteering for a political campaign
There are many different choices you have when trying to find an internship as a high school student.
Each one will provide you with a unique experience and also give you valuable knowledge that will undoubtedly help you in the future.
CONNECT WITH OTHER PARENTS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT
HOW TO PAY FOR COLLEGE
JOIN ONE OF OUR FACEBOOK GROUPS: